Thursday, September 2, 2010

Never Grow Weary of Doing the Right Thing

     Today I was attacked by several women I have helped to rescue animals with in the past. It all began when we were spreading the word about a pit bull in need and then 4 of the women in the thread on Facebook began to attack three of my friends who are vegetarian. One of my friends had dared to ask one of these women why they care only about protecting dogs from abuse while funding the horrific abuse and cruelty towards cows, pigs, goats, chickens, turkeys, and other farm animals with their food dollars.
     These 4 women then attacked and made fun of my friends for being vegetarians and then when they found out that I am a vegan, I received the worst treatment of all. As they sent me messages fast and furious describing how they enjoy eating dead meat and wearing the fur painfully ripped off of mink and other animals, I wondered where the violence in their hearts came from. They attacked me for being a vegan and for being an Atheist yet how moral are they who claim to be Christians when they care nothing at all for the pain and suffering of innocent farm animals?
     As they sent me descriptions of animals being slaughtered, I could feel the violence. All of these women hate Atheists, vegetarians, vegans, Buddhists, Wiccans, Muslims, Hindus, Asians, Africans, and anyone different from them. I have come to the conclusion that vegetarianism and veganism naturally softens the heart and enchances compassion and the capacity to love. If we can feel the pain of another creature such as a cow or pig being abused , then we can certainly feel the pain of other humans on Planet Earth in their time of need.
     I defriended these women with sadness in my heart. Their words still sting and their lack of compassion for others and for animals in the cruel meat/dairy/egg industry break my heart. They told me that farm animals are not really the same as companion animals and their lives don't matter. I don't believe that.
     As Albert Schweitzer so wisely said, "Until he extends the circle of his compassion to ALL living things, man will not himself find peace."
     Let us never weary of doing the right thing .